Exercise and physical activity benefit the body in a variety of ways. From improving your mood and boosting energy to helping you maintain a healthy weight, exercise and physical activity are key components of a healthy lifestyle.
The Physical Benefits
Physical activity and exercise can have immediate and long-term health benefits. Most importantly, regular activity can improve your quality of life. A minimum of 30 minutes a day can allow you to:
- Improve your strength and endurance
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack and stroke
- Reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Improve your blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Maintain your body weight and lower levels of body fat
- Improve your joint health and mobility
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
The Mental Benefits
Beyond the physical benefits of exercise and physical activity, there are important mental benefits. Regular physical activity can:
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Boost your mood and feelings of well-being
- Improve your sleep
- Increase your self-esteem
- Help you to better manage stress
Regular physical activity can also improve your mental acuity. A recent study found that physical activity can improve your cognitive abilities and delay age-related cognitive decline.
Regular exercise and physical activity can benefit your body in many ways. From improving your physical health and reducing your risk of chronic diseases, to helping you maintain a healthy weight and improving your mental acuity, exercise and physical activity are essential elements of good health.